It's getting close to the holiday season...

9:43:00 AM

I know it's been a while since my last post, however I have been working on some pretty awesome projects, one of which I am going to share with you right now!

 With my endless searching for the perfect Christmas gifts for my family, on the cost friendly side, I hit the jackpot with this adorable, customizable, homemade coasters!

I found the idea on Pinterest and knew that I just had to try it!

What you will need:
  • Mod Podge
  • Any clear, water proof spray paint (What I used is pictured below)
  • Any cute and decorative scrapbook paper
  • paper cutter and/or scissors
  • Hot glue gun
  • Felt or thin cork board (I used felt)
  • Sponge paint brush
  • Plain white, 4X4 tiles (I got mine at Lowe's for $0.16 a piece!)






Step One: Take your scrapbook paper of choice, turn it blank side up and trace the tile.

Step Two: Take your paper cutter or scissors and cut the paper on the previously traced lines

Step Three: Take your sponge brush and paint the Mod Podge onto the tile, make sure you don't put too much otherwise you will cause buckling and bubbling of the paper... a thin amount will do!

Step Four: Lay the paper, decorative side up, on the tile and rub the paper flat making sure to get out any air bubbles! Make sure the corners are secure as well (If not just add another dab of Mod Podge under the corner of the paper)... Let dry for about 5 minutes

Step Five: Once the paper is dry and secure on the tile take your sponge brush again and paint a layer of Mod Podge on top of the paper as well as on the sides... again, just a thin layer to make sure the paper is securely on the tile... Let dry for about 5 minutes

Step Six: Take the tiles and make sure you are in a well ventilated room, preferably outside on a dry and not windy day... Make sure the tiles are on some sort of protective covering (I used newspaper)... then take the clear spray paint, shake well, and coat the tiles with the paint... Make sure that you cover each tile very well because this is what will make your coasters waterproof! Let this dry for about 10-15 minutes

Step Seven: Once the tiles are dry repeat step six one more time... I do not think this is absolutely necessary, however I wanted to make sure my coasters were very well coated and protected.

Step Eight: Once the tiles are dry take your felt or cork and cut four small circles for each tile (Or one large square to fit underneath the coaster entirely)... I used felt, it was much more cost efficient and easier to cut and deal with.

Step Nine: Then take your hot glue gun, and glue the felt or cork on the bottom of the tiles (If you cut squares make sure that each corner has a circle... if you cut one big square make sure it is securely glued to the bottom of the tile)



Voila! You have just made your very own personalized coaster... I did my best to average out the cost of each coaster and mine came out to be ROUGHLY $0.75 a coaster!!! They are going to make amazing Christmas gifts and I can't wait to make more!!!



"It always seems impossible until it's done."
- Nelson Mandela

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram @mmlarose

Subscribe